3.28.2014

IVF Scorecard


The nurse just returned my call. This is the afternoon of Day 5 post retrieval, and I wanted an update before the weekend came. All week I've felt frozen, just waiting in suspended animation for these results.

The nurse's voice did not have that smiley sound that I always strain to hear when someone from the clinic calls. If anything, her voice was on the reserved side of neutral. My right hand, already over my heart as if to calm it down, moved up around my throat. I couldn't breathe.

"Well, it looks like they were able to biopsy one embryo," she began, then brightened. "Oh! That's right, THE embryo—you were expecting just the one."

"Right!" I said, vastly relieved. One AT BEST, I thought.

And now the best-case scenario has happened once again. The nurse couldn't tell me the grade of this embryo, but if it was healthy enough to make it this far...

Now came the wave of gratitude. A whole ocean of it. It knocked me off my feet, rolled over me, and is still (an hour later) leaking from my eyes.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Friends, do you know how lucky I am? Do you know how many embryos don't make it to Day 5, how many eggs don't fertilize at all, how many cycles (especially no-stim cycles) don't produce even one egg? Especially in women with DOR and my awful numbers. Yet somehow I'm 4 for 4. It's astounding. I am astounded.

Type of IVF No. of Cycles Results
Stimulated,
antagonist protocol
1 2 unfertilized eggs
No stimulation 4 4 embryos, blastocyst stage on Day 5
(1 miscarried, 3 frozen and awaiting PGS)

Thank you all for the good wishes this past week!. It looks like they've helped. :)

9 comments:

  1. Wow, Hope! That is truly amazing. I didn't even know your could do a no stim cycle. Hoping for positive news from your genetic testing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's not a common approach, but in my case ... well, the results seem to speak for themselves. I'd like to write more about it, maybe after the next follow-up meeting with the RE.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful news! What a way to start the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Petunia: It was the best news in months. I'm still in shock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! so pleased for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So so happy for you Hope! Wishing for continued good news as you move forward and sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Comments (on anything, new or old) are welcome!