10.21.2013

Moving On


Lately I can't seem to make decisions. Like, about anything. Maybe it started with burnout over medical choices, but now this indecision is filtering down to the smallest details.

In a store tonight, I was trying to decide which type of mouse toy to buy for my cat. There were only two choices, but the first style was kind of ugly, and the second style might be too small. It might get lost under furniture and doors. And who knew if my cat would think the first style was ugly just because I did? Also, BOTH types had small parts; could they come off and be a hazard?? No, probably not. But I still could not decide. I mean, what if I wasted $1.99 ON THE WRONG MOUSE?

Well ... what if I did? With that thought came laughter and instant release. I really don't have to obsess over every single thing, after all. I really can just toss the closest toy into my cart and move on, secure in the knowledge that my cat will be happy tonight and I won't have to waste any more brain cells on this choice. How refreshing.

After agonizing over last month's huge decision for a while, I'm finally moving on medically, too. I'm trying no-stim IVF with my other clinic again. They're the place that got me pregnant last winter. It was a scary choice, because this type of IVF goes against most conventional wisdom, but I think it's the right choice for me.

I've never responded well to stimulation, and the increased expense of full IVF just isn't worth the increased number of eggs produced (if any). More importantly, I'm afraid that the meds may harm what's left of my egg quality. Far better to have one good-quality egg than two bad ones at three times the price. Also, unlike IUI, IVF ensures that the sperm and egg meet. It bypasses problems with the egg entering the fallopian tube or the sperm penetrating the egg. Finally, I'd like to do genetic screening on the embryos, to help make sure that they're healthy before transfer.

This is going to be a long process. I'll do several cycles, do the testing, then—I'm hoping with all my heart—do an FET. Strangely, the fact that it will be a long process is making it feel less stressful, not more so.

The most stressful part is the commute. This clinic is in another state, and the drive there is at least a three-hour round trip (more if there are accidents) through two metro areas. Normally, I like driving. I've driven cross-country (2,000+ miles) several times, but this ... this just sucks. So I leave home at 5 AM to avoid the worst of the traffic. Thank God for audiobooks. They pass the time and calm me down. When I made this trek last winter, I was listening to The Worst Hard Time, a great book about the Dust Bowl and Depression. That sure put my stress into historical perspective!

five lanes going nowhere
(Yes, officer, I came to a complete stop before taking photos.)

11 comments:

  1. Your new plan makes complete sense to me, for all the reasons you outlined. But that commute? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, all of the "easy" plans were exhausted long ago. It feels good to be moving forward again, though.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I can see why you've been struggling. Does your clinic agree that a non-medicated IVf is a good option for you? Where are you cycling? Sorry for so many questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem -- questions are fine. This clinic has the most experience with non-medicated IVF in (or, well, sort of near) my area. I was lucky enough to get pregnant there on my first non-medicated IVF last winter, then miscarried. Then I tried a full IVF elsewhere, which was a disaster.

      I'm not down on medication in general, and really considered one more try with a different protocol ... but decided to stick with what (almost) worked last winter. This RE agrees that -- in my case -- it's a good choice.

      Delete
  3. That commute would make me crazy! I hope it pays off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's just another exercise in patience: one day at a time, breathe in, breathe out, and all that...

      Delete
  4. I actually wished that I did a non-medicated (or low stim) IVF when I was cycling with my own eggs b/c I feel the full IVF that I did (which was very high stims!) did ruin my egg quality.

    I think it's a good choice!

    And I sympathize with that commute. My last clinic was 1 1/2 hour trip one way so round trip was 3 hours which I had to do all before work! UGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like my last RE downplayed the effect of very high stims on egg quality ... which, when you're only producing three or four eggs at most, is kind of important, right?!

      Delete
  5. It must feel good to have a plan in place, and it sounds like this is aboslutely the right one for you. I can see why the 'slow and steady' process would feel less rushed and stressful, though the commute must not be fun. (We are in a similar situation, because since our move, we decided not to transfer clinic as well, once we had gotten used to one we liked.)

    I'm wishing you all good things for this process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth some inconvenience to have a clinic and plan that feel right. I'm glad that your'e in good hands -- and so happy to hear your good news!!

      Delete

Comments (on anything, new or old) are welcome!