10.26.2013

More Not-Awful News!


After the fertilization report, five more days dragged by. The nurse had told me that no news was good news, and each day I sighed with relief when 5 PM passed with no phone call.

I'd expected to feel excited and cautiously optimistic, as I did the one other time I've made it this far. That time, having a fertilized egg—the first ever—felt momentous. I felt responsible for it. Didn't like the thought of it being so far away. I imagined bringing tiny booties to the lab, fussing and brooding over it like a huge mother hen.

Seriously, though, I was desperately curious about this embryo, not just in terms of whether the cycle would succeed, but in terms of its identity. Who might it become? What wonderful tapestry was its genetic code weaving right now? The medical staff and I had set things in motion, but now came the most miraculous part, the part for which we hadn't and couldn't have written a script.

I remember that feeling of awe. During the last five-day wait, I had the excitement of a fresh transfer to come right afterwards, and the innocence of never having had a pregnancy loss. This time a longer road lies ahead, and I'm more aware of each step. This time what I mostly felt was tired and numb—preemptively depressed, as if feeling bad now could keep me from feeling totally wretched if the embryo did not survive.

I KNOW that this is pointless. There's a magnet on my fridge that says, "Worry is like a rocking chair. It will give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere." I'm not even sure how much of what I felt this week was worry. It had even less clarity. It was more like defensive withdrawal.

----------

On Day 5 I knew that, whatever the outcome, someone from the clinic would call. It was hard to focus on anything else as hour after hour ticked by. I considered writing a post about the wait, then thought, If you write about it, you'll jinx it. I heard a song with sad lyrics and changed it, thinking, If you listen to sad songs, you'll end up sad. I thought of taking a break and calling the clinic myself. If you call them, it will be bad news.

Although I'm grown up, sane, and mostly logical, no, apparently I'm not above magical thinking now and then. I just try not to give into it, since it leads to nothing but more of the same fantasies of control in situations where, clearly, there is none. So I went ahead and called the clinic anyway. And eventually they called back.

Turns out there was more good news. The embryo made it to Day 5, and they were able to do the biopsy and freeze.

I'm in shock. I'm incredibly lucky.

It was Thursday evening when they called. I said a prayer of thanks but still felt mostly numb for hours. Then the tears came and, with them, the thaw. Slowly, the fog of preemptive depression has lifted. Now I'm able again to connect with the wonder that has been here underneath it all along.

Believe me, I know how far this stage is from a birth or even a pregnancy. A five-day blastocyst has, what, about 200 cells? I can't use the word "baby" to describe it, but all the same, these lines from the old nursery rhyme have been echoing in my mind and heart, putting words to the wonder that's there:

Where did you come from, baby dear?
Out of the everywhere into the here...

Into the here.

9 comments:

  1. So, so happy you got good news! Praying that this little blastocyst will one day grow into your take home baby. Crossing everything for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers and good wishes! I hope that things are getting back to normal for you now.

      Delete
  2. Good news! Finally. It sounds like this plan is definitely the right one! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I tried this. Sometimes you just can't know for sure until you try.

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy you got good news! Hoping so hard that this little blastocyst is your take-home baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stasy! It's amazing to think that (however uncertain) it's now an actual possibility.

      Delete
  4. Great News! I hope the good news keeps coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing news. The modern science is just incredible. Thinking about the process from embryo to baby blows my mind every time... Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Comments (on anything, new or old) are welcome!