This week I heard about something called the Unaccompanied Refugee Minor (URM) foster-care program, a network of specialized foster-care agencies. Kids in this program range from about 4 to 20, with most in their teens. They may have come to the US as survivors of war or trafficking (slavery). They may have come alone or with a caregiver who then abused or abandoned them, or who otherwise couldn't meet their needs.
Here's how it works:
"URM programs follow the same state or county laws and regulations that govern domestic foster care. The children in the URM program are eligible for all of the same services as an American born youth in a state foster care program…
URM programs are funded by the Office of Refugee Resettlement, via the State Refugee Coordinator's office. This office oversees the administration of the URM programs. All URM programs are licensed and monitored regularly by their state child welfare authorities. In addition, LIRS and USCCB provide quality control and serve as an ongoing resource for the programs."LIRS is the Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service, and USCCB is the US Conference of Catholic Bishops. If I'm interested, the next step would be to contact them for more information.
And I am interested. I'm actually really interested.
I mean … not yet. We'll have to see where the TTC path leads first, because it's the one that's time-sensitive, and I dearly hope that it leads to a child of my own. But fostering in general, and this type in particular, doesn't feel like a substitute for having my own child. It doesn't feel like a consolation prize. It just feels like a very different path ... which I know I don't have energy to pursue very far right now, but which also (Thank God!) makes me feel some genuine excitement. I want to do BOTH of these things.
I'm still sorting out why I feel so drawn to the URM option and how much of that attraction is realistic. Some of it comes from reading Half the Sky a few years back. I stayed up literally all night reading that book, with its stories of women and girls forced into prostitution and exploited in the countless other ways that people can abuse each other. It was one of the most nauseating, heartbreaking, infuriating, energizing things I've ever read.
It was also wonderful to learn about the ways that people have been fighting back. I actually decided that night that if my dreams to have my own child couldn't be fulfilled, then my next step would be to spend a few months working for one of the groups in that book. Why not? I'd have no strings to tie me down; I'd be just the kind of person who could actually go and do it: working on contract, single, no kids of my own. Why not at least try to do something useful for someone's child? Meanwhile, it might keep me from drowning in self-pity at the time when I'd be most tempted.
And now … here is this option, right here in my own country.
I sense that my excitement is terribly naïve. I mean, I've never really pictured myself fostering a teen or pre-teen domestically, and now all of a sudden I'd consider fostering what's likely to be an even-more traumatized teen who speaks just a few words of my language? What on earth am I thinking???
What am I thinking? I'm thinking that I care. I'm thinking how many of the URM kids come from Central America, and how I have two years' worth of rusty Spanish that it wouldn't be too hard to resurrect. I'm thinking of these ads, and the fact that agencies provide some training. I'm thinking first of the reasons why it actually might work, which has not been the norm for me lately.
And I'm thinking, too, of the reasons why it might not work. My mind knows that there would be some special challenges, which I may decide I'm not truly able to meet once I find out more. And yet my heart still feels called—that's the only word that fits here—to take the next step and find out more anyway.
You're amazing. I just want to put that out there, because what you're feeling called to is such a wonderful thing.
ReplyDeleteAw, thank you. It really is a wonderful thing ... I'm just questioning my own ability to do it. But at the same time, after having it stuck in my head all week long, I clearly need to go ahead and just take the next small step.
DeleteDo keep us posted about that! :) Me, I am still looking into fostering to adopt, especially with knowing that there's a number of deaf children out there (unwanted, due to language and communication issues). It does help that I'm pretty good in spoken English and fluent in American Sign Language... still looking into it myself.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea. Keep us posted on that, too! It sounds like something that could be really fulfilling, not to mention totally life-changing for the child.
DeleteIt is so wonderful to have this feeling of excitement and being called. I think we have to grasp those encounters with both hands.
ReplyDeleteAlso, for what it's worth, I have fostered two unaccompanied refugee children (in the UK system) and it was one of the most challenging, overwhelming, and ultimately rewarding experiences of my life. If you think you have the will for it, I can't recommend it enough. I'll be interested in updates as you think through this!
I was going to ask if any readers had experience with this program but thought nah, what are the odds? And you've actually DONE it (well, the UK equivalent)! Wow, I would LOVE to hear more about your experiences. Just have a minute now, but I'll send you an email later tonight or tomorrow.
DeleteOh, please do email! Although I'm not sure how useful I can be in terms of the practicalities, (which I assume are different from country to country), I'd be more than happy to share my personal experiences.
DeleteDone! :)
DeleteIt probably sounds cheesy, but your energy is energizing! I think it's wonderful that you are called to this, and that you feel excitement about both journeys. I'm looking forward to seeing where this all takes you.
ReplyDeleteNot cheesy -- I appreciate the kind words and encouragement, and I'm pretty curious to see where it all goes, too!
DeleteTalk to Rebeka....as she used to work for UN...she might know more specifcs!
ReplyDeleteTraci
Oh yeah, that's right! Good thought.
DeleteWhen you get excited about something that really speaks to your heart it is usually right to pursue it. With training and support I'm sure you could do this. Inspiring stuff.
ReplyDeleteYes, I've learned to respect that little voice of optimism, which has been pretty rare and precious lately. If I'm thinking first of the reasons why it might work, that's probably a good sign.
Delete福利聊天室
ReplyDelete美女福利視頻秀
約炮交友直播間平台
美女主播福利視頻
午夜寂寞聊天室
午夜聊天室真人秀場
免費祼聊聊天室
色裸聊直播間
能看啪啪福利的聊天室
免費可以看裸聊直播app