3.27.2013

ICLW Thanks


As my first ICLW comes to an end, I'm already looking forward to the next. It's been enlightening, healing, busy, and fun. I found some wonderful blogs to follow and got so much food for thought. In fact, there are ideas for many more posts swirling around in my head now, along with topics to research, questions I should remember to ask my doctors, etc.

I even managed to, you know, keep up with the commenting part. It shouldn't be a surprise, but secretly I wondered how this week would go, since it turned out to be busier than expected when I signed up. And, as always, the regularly scheduled depression was there to interfere.

I tried to comment on every blog that I read and to go down the list randomly, not just picking situations that seemed to have the most in common with mine. And I'm so glad. Before, I might have turned away from those who wrote a lot about their supportive spouse, pregnancy, or existing children. (Sorry—it's just a self-protective thing.) I might have resented women whose TTC odds seemed better than mine. And I would have missed out.

Because here's what I learned: we're ALL struggling with pain and fear, just in different forms. Yeah, we know this. But it's one thing to know intellectually and another to read about it in depth, day after day. Those people who "have it better" than me in one way or another? They also spent everything they had on multiple IVF cycles / have a husband who's away from home on military deployments / have a child with a serious birth defect / have a high-risk pregnancy / fought infertility for a decade / need major surgery to correct a uterine problem / lost babies to miscarriage and stillbirth / just lost someone else they loved / and many more situations than I can list here.

So I bow to those people—to all of you—for living through what you have and for sharing your example. Thanks for getting me out of my own head (see link above!) and making me feel at home.


6 comments:

  1. hi from iclw! this was my first week doing it as well!
    this post was amazing. and so very true.
    i loved it.
    xxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed ICLW. I have found a number of my favorite blogs from it and believe that it really brings people together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so simply and beautifully put. Like you, I have found much healing and comfort in reaching out to others whose pain and circumstances at first seemed so different from my own, and in realizing that underneath it all is the same longing and love. Blogging has been tremendous in this process; I'm glad we have each other, and I'm glad you're finding some comfort as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I still find myself avoiding pregnant blogs. It's one thing if someone I am following gets pregnant but I can't start someone's journey while they have a bump. Maybe I will get over it eventually. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ICLW is amazing! it really brings out the true blogging community feeling, connecting us altogether :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed ICLW! I found so many women to admire through the several months I've participated.

    ReplyDelete

Comments (on anything, new or old) are welcome!