2.27.2013

The Bitter End


After more than two weeks, the bleeding is finally over and this is it: the bitter end of pregnancy. I miss the bleeding. I'd actually rather have that sad reminder than nothing at all. The only good news is that it looks like I've managed to save $1,000+ by getting by without the D&C.

My doctor didn't recommend the "natural" route, and now, having taken it, neither would I. But my high-deductible health plan (no IF coverage) had a lot of deductible left, and I'd much rather spend that money on another IVF, because I must be a total masochist the first one did work, almost. I'm not ready to think about it yet beyond that point.

Also … it took a long time to get pregnant. My attitude was that if it took a little extra time to get un-pregnant, well, OK. Maybe a part of me needed to see the evidence before really believing it. I did fear the physical pain, which was intense, but the emotional pain and emptiness now are worse.

Now that the risk of hemorrhage is over, I don't have to be so careful physically. I can exercise. I may need to. At the start of the last cycle back in November, I noticed a new gym in my neighborhood that offers "fitness, fighting, and self defense." On a whim, I decided that if this cycle didn't work, I would sign up there and take out my anger on their punching bags instead of on my furniture, friends, and so on.

While that all sounds very badass, I remembered that I already have a gym membership I'm not using, because I'm researching protocols and driving four hours round-trip for treatments instead. So I might as well just go take one of the classes at the place I already know. Something different, though—no yoga (prenatal or otherwise) this time, but something with "Combat," "Attack," or "Xtreme" in its name.

Because, as disappointed and depressed as I am, I'm angry too. AM I ANGRY.

6 comments:

  1. I've just started a kickboxing class. I have to resist the urge to go daily. (I'm not physically there yet, probably I'd die after the 2nd day.) It's so so worth it.

    Sending light and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hope I don't hurt myself ... or kick someone else in the back by mistake! But we've gotta do something to stay sane. :) Glad it's been helping you.

      Delete
  2. I found your blog through LFCA. I'm so sorry for your loss. I've had two early losses and a second tri miscarriage, so I know some of what you're going through. Just like the depression, the anger comes with the territory, I guess. Why the hell wouldn't you be angry? After my first loss, I spent too much time and energy trying to deny my anger for the benefit of polite society, but maybe if I'd taken a kickboxing class and just beaten the sh*t out of some punching bag, I'd have spared myself many months of crazy. I say go for it! Sending you strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for your losses, too. Wow. Until recently I had no idea how many women go through this -- probably because of, you know, that "polite society" thing.

      The anger is going to come out one way or another (unless it gets turned inward). Best to let it out in conscious ways when we can, I guess.

      Delete
  3. You totally deserve the release of angry exercise. Just sending lots of love. I can't imagine how hard this is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -- I appreciate the kind thoughts.

      Delete

Comments (on anything, new or old) are welcome!