When the nurse called with the PGS results, I asked the questions I had written down beforehand, which were listed under two headings: "If any embryos are normal" and "If all are abnormal." Either way, I knew I'd probably be too stunned to remember my questions in the moment.
I scanned down to the second list. Deep breath. So … what were the exact abnormalities? (Combinations of fairly rare monosomies and trisomies, meaning that entire chromosomes were missing and/or duplicated.) What were the implications for the embryos? (Early first-trimester miscarriage, if they even implant at all.) What were the implications for future treatment? (My RE wasn't there to answer that last question, so we'll talk by phone on Monday.)
Future treatment. Is there any point? I don't want to make any grand pronouncements right now about being Done With TTC. But … am I done?? At some point, the relief of stopping must outweigh the pain of giving up.
I keep thinking of a song that talks about making peace with pain, because there's really no other choice. It mentions three levels of damage: a splinter in the hand, a thorn in the heart, and a shotgun to the head. My months of TI and IUIs were like splinters in the hand, constant but fairly minor aches. Miscarriage after IVF was a thorn in the heart. This latest news...
Sometimes a blast straight to the head can actually be a mercy, compared to death by a thousand splinters. You know? I'm thinking here of people I know online who've gotten such definitive diagnoses that all hope of conceiving their own genetic children was crushed in an instant.
But maybe they would still love to have even whatever small chance I still have.
It's just all so complicated.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
What's a person supposed to do after getting this kind of news?
I went outside and cleaned up the patio. It felt strangely similar to the last time I got awful news and reacted with, of all things, a crusade to pick up litter in the woods. What's going on here? Am I developing some sort of weird "grief cleaning" habit?
Then, while still cleaning, I started writing a journal / blog entry in my head, because words are how I try to process things. I watched myself doing it, trying to force meaning out of this mess, desperate to transform it into something good or at least something useful. Water and cleansing, renewal...
No. STOP. There's no meaning here, certainly not yet. There's just a person whose hands are continuing to operate automatically, while her head and heart are in fragments. Whatever may happen down the road, despite or because of the news that I just got, there is NO GOOD in the fact that these embryos will not survive.
And whatever may happen down the road, there are no shortcuts to get there, just cold water and dirt in this moment, then the next. So feel it, gritty between my fingers and splattering onto my toes. Feel it. It's a fucking mess. So feel it. That's the lesson for today.
Thinking of you xoxo Hugs!
ReplyDeleteAfter every failure, I am in this exact same place, minus the cleaning. Maybe I should try the cleaning. I'm up for results in a week, so I guess I will try the cleaning. Anyway..it seems that for me, it's harder NOT to try. I try my hardest to give up, but then I get depressed because I've given up. So I totally understand, if there's a chance, it hurts to give up. I wish I could stop trying and learn to live with the pain.
ReplyDeleteI just want you to know that I am thinking of you. I have so much respect for you because you're right. We do have to just FEEL it, after the setbacks/failures. Trying to avoid it, only makes it worse.
I was going to ask about other options for TTC, but then I read your last paragraph...and changed my mind. Now is about just feeling.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and wishing there were something I could say that would make it better. And even more, wishing the news had been different.
I am so very sorry about your PGS results. I think, everybody who has a hard time or knows it is impossible to pregnant feels with you. We were all rooting for you. I hope you will take some time to mourn for a while, but I still want to ask: What is next? And I do not necessarily mean regarding TTC, but what is next for you (as a person)?
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry it was such grim results. I do remember the last time where you wrote about clearing up the litter... strange but maybe there is something there, in that action itself that makes it a cleansing process somehow. But ugh, what frustrating and heartbreaking news. Thinking of you as you work through it all.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry that you received this blast. My heart broke for you, reading this post. I wish I could fix this for you. HUGS!
ReplyDelete