Pregnant women and babies don't hurt me. I'm used to them, prepared for them, and usually not too unsettled.
Most of the time, what I feel is not much at all. Defended numbness. Sometimes a passing joy. Sometimes a gentle, wistful sadness for what might have been and obviously is not, so there's no point in brooding about it. No point in focusing much on the future, for that matter, since who knows what might end up happening then. Best to conserve my energy.
Then something blindsides me and flattens the careful defenses, as this beautiful post about the difference between grief and trauma describes:
"I've learned to walk and talk and laugh around the grief and while I never let it go, it's become easier to carry, to shift to one side when necessary. I wear it like the bracelet on my arm that has Eliza's name. It no longer feels like my defining characteristic, even though I carry it every day and it's become part of who I am.
The trauma lurks, sharp and scary and real, and when it surfaces, it takes me out."It's true: the smallest things can hurt the worst, because they're so unexpected and so visceral. They're sensory things. A certain song that was popular when I was pregnant. The smell of hand sanitizer, which I used a lot that winter in my quest for perfect pregnant health. There are visual things, too, the worst of which hit me again this past week:
![]() |
| They're baaaack! (source) |
February 6—a year ago—was the date of that awful, silent ultrasound. After the OB's Doppler picked up no fetal heartbeat, there were actually two ultrasounds, an abdominal (just to make sure that everything was alright), followed by a vaginal (to confirm the worst).
A weird, stoic numbness started enfolding me right away. The OB looked worried, as if he'd rather see me cry or rage, but I didn't even have the energy for a bitter "oh SURE" when he asked if I was going to be OK. Was there a choice?
I just wanted to go home. But it was afternoon, and on the 40-minute drive I got stuck behind what seemed to be every school bus in the county. Numb, numb. I could feel my heart closing and shrinking more with each passing mile. Then I stopped at the grocery store to pick up the
And there was that wall of cheerful balloons. They were shaped like giant glossy hearts and kissy lips. I stopped in my tracks, struck twice, first by all the imagery of hearts ("I'm sorry, but your baby's heart has stopped.") and then by the whole concept of Valentine's Day. Oh yeah, I thought. Almost forgot that part. I'm going home to have a miscarriage ... alone, on what would have been our anniversary.
Time does soften the rough edges, and it will probably continue to do so, but as long as I live I'll never see Valentine's Day in the same way again.

Oh, I'm so sorry that you have to have these triggers around you at this time of year. Like a double whammy and punch in the gut. Thinking of you as you remember your sweet baby gone too soon. Sending hugs.
ReplyDeleteAw :( Can't escape the triggers
ReplyDeleteI`m so sorry about your loss. Sending you a virtual hug! I'm grieving with you.
ReplyDeleteGod you have really captured how the most innocuous-seeming things---heart-shaped balloons---can become spooky reminders. And your line about diapers/menstrual pads kills me. Sometimes the pads are across the aisle from diapers, in certain drug stores; I now know which drug stores they are and avoid them. This is such a beautifully written and thoughtful post, thank you for sharing, and I'm sorry.
ReplyDelete